Continuum is one of the most sort out feature in windows phone 10. With the latest bits, you will able to project / connect to Windows 10 PC from a Windows 10 phone without the need of display dock.
What you need
- Continuum / Projection supported Windows Phone / PC.
- Windows 10 PC with Miracast hardware support.
Setting up the PC
- Navigate to settings.
- Tap on “System”.
- Tap on “Projecting to this PC”.
- Alternatively you can also search for “Projecting to this PC”.
- The setting will be enabled without any warning if your PC hardware supports this feature.
- Under “Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say its ok”, select the appropriate choice you need.
- You can choose this to be on secure network (disables projecting in public / adhoc networks like coffee shop, airport etc.).
- If you want to enable it everywhere, select “Available everywhere”.
- Under “Ask to project to this PC”, select whether you want the PC to ask the permission every time or just the first time you connect.
- Turn on / off “Require PIN for pairing”; I suggest you keep it on.
- If you turn on “This PC can be discovered for projection only when it is plugged in”, then your PC will not be available for projection when running on batteries.
Projecting your phone or PC
- Swipe down from the top to bring down the action center.
- On the PC, the icon is available at the right corner of the task bar.
- Tap on connect. If the icon is not visible, click the “Expand” button to show it.
- Your device will show a set of devices which are already paired / discoverable
- Tap on the device to which you want to project to.
- Based on your setting in the PC, it will ask permission to project the screen.
- Based on your setting in the PC, a popup will appear asking for the PIN.
- Key in the PIN on your phone or PC.
- If you are running Continuum for the first time, your phone show a welcome. Follow the instructions to move forward.
- Once you are done, the PC will show the start screen similar to Windows 10 desktop.
- Your phone will now act like a touch pad for the projection.
- You can also use the keyboard, mouse, etc on your PC just like using your PC.
- All the continuum enabled apps, will function on this desktop. e.g.) Microsoft Office, Microsoft Health, News etc.
- Explore other options available in Continuum by tapping on the ellipsis on your phone or PC.
- Tap on disconnect on your phone or close the desktop using the close button on your PC.Note: If your phone / PC doesn’t support Continuum, the connect will just project your screen.