Windows Phone allows you to locate your phone by map, ring and also remote lock and wipe. In this article we will see how easily you can find a misplaced phone.
In order to use this feature, you should switch on the “find my phone” feature. Depending on the phone manufacturer / service provider, this feature is switched on / off by default.
To switch on the feature,
- Navigate to settings.
- Tap on “find my phone”.
- Switch on the feature.
Remember that enabling this feature will consume more power, data than usual but it does worth the feature it offers.
You will be now able to find the phone from the windows phone portal.
- Log in to http://windowsphone.com. Use the same credentials you used while your phone set up.
- If you have more than one phone configured with your id, then select the phone you have to find as shown below.
- Expand the menu and select “Find My Phone”.
- The page will show your phone’s last location recorded along with the map and also the options to ring, lock and erase.
- Click the ring menu.
- Your phone will be sent a signal to ring (not your ringtone but a loud alarm).
The phone will ring irrespective of the fact it is in silent mode or low ring volume. This is helpful when your phone is in silent mode and you forgot where you have kept it. This option will not work if your phone is switched off.
If your phone is not found after few tries, the portal will give you an option to use your phone number to erase the content remotely by sending an SMS. If you feel your phone is really lost and you want to erase the content without compromising the data, you can chose the option.